Skip to main content

Cashmerette Club - Ashwood Pants - 4202


Cashmerette - Ashwood Pants



We've taken the comfort of leggings and added a pinch of polish, and voila! The Ashwood Pants are elegant ponte pants with stylish princess seams and optional front slits, and of course, pockets. The Ashwood is fitted through the waist and hips and flares below the knees, with a yoga-style waistband for the ultimate in waist comfort. A super-speedy sew, you'll be ready to hit the town in your secret pajamas in no time.

Pattern Sizing:
PDF download only.
0-32, Includes 35-62” hip. 
Separate files for both size ranges (0-16 and 12-32) are included. 
Recommend fabric Ponte or double knit with approximately 30% stretch across the grain and 10-20% stretch along the grain.
I used bengaline from Spotlight which does not have any stretch along the grain.

Fit Changes
I didn’t make any fit alterations because I assumed they would fit me. That was silly of me really because I just made the Cashmerette Meriam trousers and took out 1.5” from the crotch length. I think I was just super excited by my hem design that I overlooked the obvious. 
So I made them up and the crotch depth was 2” too long. My conundrum then was how to fix it? 

First version where the crotch was too long

Option 1: unpicking the coverstitching and remove some length from the top edge of pocket so I can move the waistband down. Pro- the pockets are long so shortening them wouldn’t matter and the top edge of the pocket is just folded over and topstitched, unpicking coverstitch is easy. I could reuse the existing waistband.
Con- restitching the section of coverstitching would be tricky as the garment is sewn together and my machine does not have a lot of clearance so I would have to unpick the CF and CB seams part way. 

Option 2: remove the waistband and unpick it to make a single layer waistband. Sew the narrower top edge of the waistband to the waist and create a floating facing on the inside instead of a waistband. Pro- I keep the shape of the hips in the correct position. Con- I would only be able to secure the new facing at the vertical seam lines because it would now be behind the pocket and I can’t close them up. 

Solution chosen - option 2, I unpicked the waistband and made it a single layer but also cut a waistband from powermesh to add an extra layer of support, I used clear elastic around the waist to add extra tension which is like the original version. 

The waistband is sewn to the inside of the pants giving the support and shortening the crotch length


I added power mesh to the waistband for extra strength

Design changes 
These are floor length flaired pants but I don’t like flairs and it’s summer in Australia so I don’t need long pants. 
I removed the flair by drawing a straight line from the knee to the hem using the grid printed on the PDF pattern to make sure the line was parallel to the grainline.
Initially I planned to just shorten the pants to just below the knee. I cut my fabric and constructed the pattern making up each leg and leaving the inseam open. The pattern instructions ask you to sew the fronts together at the crotch seam after adding the pocket but it is easier to coverstitch the seam lines without the excess of another leg attached so I didn’t do it that way.
Having completed each leg and cover stitching the indicated vertical seams I decided to add an intricate basket weave hem detail.


Vertical strips pinned in place


Basket weave hem
I cut 8 x 2” wide by 150cm long strips along the straight grain. I overlocked 1 long edge and pressed the strip into 3rds like you would a belt loop. I topstitched the strip 4 times in coordinating thread. 
I cut the hem off the pants in a arrowhead shape with the point at the side seam. 
I unpicked 1cm of the side seam and added reinforcement stitching to the side seam stopping at the new point 1cm from the edge.
After overlocking the raw edge of the hem I pressed it 1cm to the wrong side.


Basket weave hem
I cut 8 x 2” wide by 150cm long strips along the straight grain. I overlocked 1 long edge and pressed the strip into 3rds like you would a belt loop. I topstitched the strip 4 times in coordinating thread. 
I cut the hem off the pants in a arrowhead shape with the point at the side seam. 
I unpicked 1cm of the side seam and added reinforcement stitching to the side seam stopping at the new point 1cm from the edge.
After overlocking the raw edge of the hem I pressed it 1cm to the wrong side.



My fabric choice of a busy print worked to my advantage as all the overlapping topstitching I did would have looked very messy on a solid colour but you can’t see it on this print. 









Popular posts from this blog

Cashmerette - Hampden Dress - 1111

Cashmerette - Hampden Dress Breeze into summer with the Hampden Dress! The Hampden is a woven dress designed specifically for curves with princess seams, an elasticated back waistband, and zero gaping thanks to a faux button placket. Its short sleeves, knee-length skirt, and roomy patch pockets make it a great addition to any spring and summer wardrobe. Hampden Dress But that's not all! Mix and match the Hampden with the Holyoke Maxi Dress & Skirt's sleeveless bodice, maxi-length skirt, and inseam pockets for even more sundress and skirt possibilities.  Holyoke pattern Combinations of Holyoke and Hampden Recommended Fabrics - Light- to mid-weight woven fabric such as cotton lawn, linen, or rayon. Use drapey fabrics for a flowy look or firmer fabrics for a more structured result.  I used Neon leopard printed rayon from Spotlight. It has a very slight stretch.  I had to place my pattern pieces carefully to print match the design across the front and around my dress. Sizing 0-

Bojagi CBD

  CBD BOJAGI Art Quilt Photo by David Leane, Photography by David In 2014 I attended the Geelong Textile Forum, studying the technique of making silk Bojagi garments with tutor Catherine O'Leary. Bojagi is a Korean wrapping cloth. While the technique fascinated me I had no use for a transparent silk organza garment so I sold mine to anther student attending the forum. I still wanted to use the skills I had learned but utilise them for something very different.  Bojagi jacket and hat Every 2 years the South Australian Quilters Guild holds an art quilt exhibition called "Dare to Differ". I have previously entered this exhibition twice and you can read about the creation of my "Cityscape" quilt on this blog. For the 2015 exhibition I chose to use the Bojagi seaming technique to create a map quilt showing a scale street map of   Adelaide,  the capitol city of my home state, South Australia. This is the inspiration for my quilt

Sewing Patterns app review

Sewing Patterns   cataloging app Review I lost the app I was using to comprehensively catalog my patterns a couple of months ago when an iOS update I did on my iPad was no longer supported by the app. This was because the developers had not bothered to update the app in years. No warning, just gone. I discovered this while shopping for fabric and trying to work out how much I needed for the pattern I planned to use.  So I took this as an opportunity to cull and resort my patterns which I have been collecting for over 20 years.  This alone took a longtime but was a very enjoyable experience to reacquaint myself with the patterns and sort them into defined sections in my pattern cabinet. Then I had to make a complete list ready to upload into a new app. Now I had to “audition” potential app’s for suitability. I did some research and consulted other social media forums for options. The previous app I used was called My Sewing Kit, it allowed me to catalog several different groups of sewin