Skip to main content

2022 Year of Cashmerette makes



My journey with Cashmerette Patterns

 in 2022

In 2022 I made myself a new wardrobe of clothes using Cashmerette Patterns and a few other brands. Cashmerette designs patterns for curves with sizes ranges including 0 - 16 and 12-32, offering cup sizes of C/D, E/F and G/H for all its sizes. In addition to this fabulous size range many patterns have sleeves with a full bicep option and pants with a full bum option allowing you to create a pattern that fits all your curves.

My size is usually 18-20 G cup
my measurements are 
Bust 188cm -122cm depending on the bra I'm wearing = G cup.

Waist 97cm standing 100cm seated

Hips 116cm standing 120cm seated

Standard sleeve and standard bum.


I follow an online sewing pattern review forum called sewing.patternreview.com

They run monthly contest for members to create garments with a theme. In 2022 I decided to enter every contest I was eligible for and use this as a way to motivate and keep my sewing journey on track for the whole year. 


The 2022 contests were as follows - # indicates I used a Cashmerette pattern in my entry.


Activewear                                        January 15th - February 14th

Pantone Colour of the year #              February 1st - February 28th

Upcycle                                             March 1st - March 31st

Sewing Bee Opening round  #             April 4th - April 11th

Sewing Bee round 2  #                       April 18th - April 25th

Sewing Bee round 3                           May 2nd - May 9th 

Sewing Bee Final round                      May 16th - May 23rd

Sew Retro                                         May 1st - May 31st

Endless Combinations  #                    June 1st - June 30th

Review a past project                         June 15th - July 15th

Serger & Coverstitch Techniques  #     July 1st - July 31st

Mini Wardrobe  #                               August 1st - August 31st

Fabric Stash                                      August 15th - October 14th

Cosplay                                             September 1st - September 30th

Copycat   #                                       October 1st - October 31st

Bargainista Fashionista                       October 15th - November 15th

Pajamas  #                                        November 1st - November 30th

Pants  #                                            December 1st - January 6th   



Apart from garments made for the contests I also made random garments to add to my wardrobe, most were new release patterns by Cashmerette or from Jennys book Ahead of the Curve released in 2021. 

FEBRUARY


Lennox Shirtdress 

My first Cashmerette make of the year was the the Lennox Shirtdress 1103.
This dress was made for the Pantone Colour of the year contest. The colour of the year for 2022 was 'Very Peri', a shade of “dynamic periwinkle blue hue with a vivifying violet red undertone”.
I chose a rayon print from Spotlight, Indigenous Australian print design, Warlukurlangu by Pauline Napangardi Gallagher, Mina Mina Dreaming. 

MARCH



 Club pattern Kimball Bomber Jacket 5102 - Patchwork Organza

In February Cashmerette launched their Club, with membership every month a new pattern was released plus other helpful content. The very first pattern was a bomber jacket.
For a trip to Queensland in Australia I needed a fancy jacket suitable for very humid weather. I used the newly releadsed Cashmerette Club Kimball Bomber jacket pattern. I created my own fabric from strips of organza making log cabin blocks. I lined my jacket with organza and encased the metallic elastic in organza at the was it neck and cuffs.

APRIL


Concord T-Shirt 2201 - My Hoodie version

The annual SPR Sewing Bee contest asks participants to create a garment in 7 days. The 2022 first round theme was "Hoodie with accent".
I used Cashmerette Concord T-Shirt as my base and added a hood, drafted my own curved front accent panel and invisible zip pocket. 


Club pattern - Kimball Bomber 5102

When the Kimball Bomber was released in February 2022 I started making a sequin version. I didn't get it finished until April!


Auburn Blazer - 5301

Round 2 of the Sewing Bee was by selection only. The theme was "Buttonholes as the feature". Successful contestants had 7 days to make a garment of their choice featuring button holes. I made a redesigned lined cotton sateen version of the Auburn Blazer with bound button holes. 


MAY was spent making more garments but not using Cashmerette Patterns. 

JUNE

June saw the Endless combinations contest launch. Participants had to make a minimum of 4 items. Garment A had to go with garment B, B had to then go with garment C and C had to go with D. 
I chose a theme of blue, metallics, black and navy. 

Tobin Sweater - 2204

I made 6 garments for the contest, 4 were Cashmerette Patterns. I also toiled two of the garments first so actually I made 8 items in total. 

Vernon Shirt - 2105

Ames Jeans - 4101

Magna Pants - Ahead of the Curve

                             

The Endless Combination Wardrobe


Before making my metallic stretch denim Ames jeans and my bengaline Magna pants I tried out both patterns first. 


Ames Jeans toile in Bengaline

Magna Pants toile in bengaline

JULY

Foxhill Dress

The July contest was Serger & Coverstitch Techniques. Sergers are another name for overlockers, machines that knit the thread around the fabric and cut off the excess as they stitch.
 
I used a pattern from Jenny Rushmore's book Ahead of the Curve (released in 2021). I used the Foxhill dress pattern designed for knits and changed it to use several different prints and added detailed pockets. I only used the overlocker to sew this dress.

Before making my version of the dress I tried it using scuba fabric fist to check the fit. 

TOILES

Toiles are test runs of a pattern to check the fit, style and fabric suitability. If I have the time and some suitable fabric I am willing to sacrifice I will toile the pattern first or if my fashion fabric is very expensive and I want the perfect fit I will toile the garment first. 
For upcoming contests I made a couple of toiles in July. 

Foxhill dress toiled in scuba

I bought some Ponte knit fabric at the second hand store and used it to toile the Pembroke dress. 
I liked the look of this dress but wasn't sure about the front ties. I had no specific plans for the Pembroke I had some time and just wanted to try it out. 

Pembroke Dress - 1204

Calder Pants - 4102

Kersoe Top - Ahead of the Curve

August 

Mini Wardrobe Contest

In August the contest was to make a capsule wardrobe with 5 garments that all went together. I used exclusively Cashmerette Patterns to create my monochromatic wardrobe. 
I made 2 pants and 3 tops. 

Calder Pants - 4102 - Capri length in linen cotton

Calder Pants  - 4102 - Palazzo Length in rayon

reversible Kersoe Top - Ahead of the Curve in Ponte

Vernon Shirt - 2105 in linen

Club pattern - Alton Blouse - 2106 in linen cotton

I toiled the Alton Top in cotton before making the linen version with the waist band, mostly to get the dart in the right position. 

Alton Blouse in cotton

October

I had wanted to make a swimsuit all year, in October the contest was Copycat where participants were asked to make a garment inspired by a review by another member on Sewing Pattern Review. I chose to make the Ipswich Swimsuit after reading a review.

I toiled the Ipswich Swimsuit first using lycra from a pair of workout leggings. 

Toiled swimsuit without the built in bra and no leg elastic

Finished swimsuit with built in foam bra.

November

Sleepwear was the theme of the November contest. For the contest participants could enter one set consisting of up to 3 matching pieces. I made a whole wardrobe of coordinating garments for summer - winter and in between. I entered the long pants, long sleeve top and robe pictured below. 
The Cashmerette Patterns I used were for the tops and the robe. 

Club pattern - Lygon Robe 7102

Stanwick T-Shirt - Ahead of the Curve - with design changes

Kersoe Top - Ahead of the Curve - colour blocked

Concord T-Shirt - 2201

December

Meriam Trousers - 4103  and Vernon Shirt - 2105

The last contest of the year was the most challenging. Make woven pants with a zip or button closure, ankle length or longer. 
Fortunately Cashmerette had recently released the Meriam Trousers with front and back pockets and an adjustable flex waistband. I made mine in crepe. I also made a Pussy bow blouse using the Vernon shirt and added a neck tie and lantern sleeves. 

Stanton Hoodie & Stanton Hoodie Expansion Pack

I started my version of the Stanton Hoodie back in September but didn't get it finished until December. This version combines the Stanton Hoodie - 2208 with the club pattern Stanton Hoodie Expansion pack. I didn't want a hoodie but liked the colour blocking and shape. I removed the kangaroo pocket and used the welt pockets from the Kimball Bomber instead. In January 2023 I completed some matching track pants using the Ashwood Pants 4202. 


If you want to read more details about each garment I made there are seperate posts on each. 






Popular posts from this blog

Cashmerette - Hampden Dress - 1111

Cashmerette - Hampden Dress Breeze into summer with the Hampden Dress! The Hampden is a woven dress designed specifically for curves with princess seams, an elasticated back waistband, and zero gaping thanks to a faux button placket. Its short sleeves, knee-length skirt, and roomy patch pockets make it a great addition to any spring and summer wardrobe. Hampden Dress But that's not all! Mix and match the Hampden with the Holyoke Maxi Dress & Skirt's sleeveless bodice, maxi-length skirt, and inseam pockets for even more sundress and skirt possibilities.  Holyoke pattern Combinations of Holyoke and Hampden Recommended Fabrics - Light- to mid-weight woven fabric such as cotton lawn, linen, or rayon. Use drapey fabrics for a flowy look or firmer fabrics for a more structured result.  I used Neon leopard printed rayon from Spotlight. It has a very slight stretch.  I had to place my pattern pieces carefully to print match the design across the front and around my dress. Sizing 0-

Bojagi CBD

  CBD BOJAGI Art Quilt Photo by David Leane, Photography by David In 2014 I attended the Geelong Textile Forum, studying the technique of making silk Bojagi garments with tutor Catherine O'Leary. Bojagi is a Korean wrapping cloth. While the technique fascinated me I had no use for a transparent silk organza garment so I sold mine to anther student attending the forum. I still wanted to use the skills I had learned but utilise them for something very different.  Bojagi jacket and hat Every 2 years the South Australian Quilters Guild holds an art quilt exhibition called "Dare to Differ". I have previously entered this exhibition twice and you can read about the creation of my "Cityscape" quilt on this blog. For the 2015 exhibition I chose to use the Bojagi seaming technique to create a map quilt showing a scale street map of   Adelaide,  the capitol city of my home state, South Australia. This is the inspiration for my quilt

Cashmerette - Brattle Top - 2211

Cashmerette - Brattle Top The Brattle Top is a simple tee with a twist! The Brattle is a curve-friendly t-shirt with a faced neckline and an inventive twist that adds visual interest without adding bulk. Opt for the Brattle's short sleeves or swap in any of the sleeves from the Concord T-Shirt or Carlyle T-Shirt patterns for even more possibilities. Don't tie yourself up  in knots trying to figure out what to wear: from brunch to the gym, the Brattle is your new go-to top! April 2023 Club pattern Sizing 0-16 & 12-32 as PDF download only with yearly subscription to the Cashmerette Club. April 2023 Club pattern Reccomended Fabric: Light to mid-weight knit fabric such as cotton/lycra, poly/lycra or rayon jersey, or ITY with at least 20% crosswise stretch. I made size 18 graded out to 20 at the hips to accommodate the not so stretchy fabric choice. For my PJ top: I used a light weight very stretchy bamboo jersey in mint and a lilac for the front and back with a matching waffle