Skip to main content

Cashmerette - Chilton Trench Coat - 5101

Chilton Trench Coat


This is the very first Cashmerette pattern I made back in 2021. The fit was excellent  on the toile. I have had so much success with Cashmerette patterns since making this coat I have made many of their patterns.

Pattern Description: Classic tailoring gets a curve-friendly update with the Chilton Trench Coat! This timeless fully lined coat pattern features a single-breasted bodice, two hem lengths, belted waist, and a kick pleat on view A. An ideal fit is easily within reach, thanks to sleek princess seams and a comfortable two-part sleeve design. Sophisticated details, such as its two-part collar, cape, epaulettes, and double topstitching, make the Chilton Trench Coat a brilliant addition to any outfit and the star of your wardrobe!

Cashmerette patterns have an expansive size range. This pattern starts at size 12 and goes to Size 28. There are cup size options C/D, E/F & G/H.
I made view A in size 20 with G/H cup.

Fabric
Digital print sateen fabric from Spotlight
Buttons Hemline Canterbury Bells in purple 34mm
Buckles from M.Recht.com.au

For a change I actually read the instructions as I sewed and followed them. The instruction booklet is quite comprehensive, clear and concise. As someone who prefers to look at diagrams rather than read instructions both were very good. 
The fit is fabulous, I made a toile in Trace’n’toile first and it fit perfectly the VERY FIRST TIME! no alterations necessary. Usually I have to do a full bust adjustment even when using a pattern with different cup sizes available. 

Once finished I didn’t like the position of the front pockets, they feel to close to the front opening and as a result the pocket bag fills up the space in the centre front. This wouldn’t be a problem but after the buttons and button holes are sewn the space is reduced and the bag cannot sit flat so it makes the front bumpy.

laying out the pattern pieces


Collar with special hook at neck

Antique Buckle

Machine stitched eyelets 

Shoulder epaulette - buttons from Spotlight


Back shield

Back shield lining






Popular posts from this blog

Cashmerette - Hampden Dress - 1111

Cashmerette - Hampden Dress Breeze into summer with the Hampden Dress! The Hampden is a woven dress designed specifically for curves with princess seams, an elasticated back waistband, and zero gaping thanks to a faux button placket. Its short sleeves, knee-length skirt, and roomy patch pockets make it a great addition to any spring and summer wardrobe. Hampden Dress But that's not all! Mix and match the Hampden with the Holyoke Maxi Dress & Skirt's sleeveless bodice, maxi-length skirt, and inseam pockets for even more sundress and skirt possibilities.  Holyoke pattern Combinations of Holyoke and Hampden Recommended Fabrics - Light- to mid-weight woven fabric such as cotton lawn, linen, or rayon. Use drapey fabrics for a flowy look or firmer fabrics for a more structured result.  I used Neon leopard printed rayon from Spotlight. It has a very slight stretch.  I had to place my pattern pieces carefully to print match the design across the front and around my dress. Sizing 0-

Bojagi CBD

  CBD BOJAGI Art Quilt Photo by David Leane, Photography by David In 2014 I attended the Geelong Textile Forum, studying the technique of making silk Bojagi garments with tutor Catherine O'Leary. Bojagi is a Korean wrapping cloth. While the technique fascinated me I had no use for a transparent silk organza garment so I sold mine to anther student attending the forum. I still wanted to use the skills I had learned but utilise them for something very different.  Bojagi jacket and hat Every 2 years the South Australian Quilters Guild holds an art quilt exhibition called "Dare to Differ". I have previously entered this exhibition twice and you can read about the creation of my "Cityscape" quilt on this blog. For the 2015 exhibition I chose to use the Bojagi seaming technique to create a map quilt showing a scale street map of   Adelaide,  the capitol city of my home state, South Australia. This is the inspiration for my quilt

Sewing Patterns app review

Sewing Patterns   cataloging app Review I lost the app I was using to comprehensively catalog my patterns a couple of months ago when an iOS update I did on my iPad was no longer supported by the app. This was because the developers had not bothered to update the app in years. No warning, just gone. I discovered this while shopping for fabric and trying to work out how much I needed for the pattern I planned to use.  So I took this as an opportunity to cull and resort my patterns which I have been collecting for over 20 years.  This alone took a longtime but was a very enjoyable experience to reacquaint myself with the patterns and sort them into defined sections in my pattern cabinet. Then I had to make a complete list ready to upload into a new app. Now I had to “audition” potential app’s for suitability. I did some research and consulted other social media forums for options. The previous app I used was called My Sewing Kit, it allowed me to catalog several different groups of sewin