Skip to main content

Cashmerette Club - Kimball Organza Bomber Jacket - 5102

Cashmerette - Kimball Bomber

The Cashmerette Club launched in February 2022. With membership, members receive access to one new and exclusive pattern each month designed for sizes 0-16 and 12-32 in cup sizes C-H as a downloadable PDF.

The Kimball Bomber Jacket was the first pattern released.

Made for curves with simple bust darts this jacket is designed for mid to heavy- weight woven fabrics such as duck cotton, canvas, sateen, brocade, jacquard or wool blend. 



I made 2 Kimball Bomber Jackets, one in sequins and satin and one in patchwork organza. 

What I really like about the Kimball is the fit for a full bust is excellent. The simple seam lines allow you to choose a busy or bold print without loosing the prints design impact to lots of vertical seams as a princess seam style Bomber would. It is also well suited to a complicated fabric like sequins which requires the removal of sequins from the seam lines.

Sequin Kimball Bomber


I used a reversible stripe sequin fabric for the front and back from Spotlight. 
From my stash I found a satin fabric in a navy with a slight stretch for the sleeves.
I used lightweight wadding for the quilted sleeves and navy ribbing from Spotlight and a heavy wet look satin for the pocket lining from The Remnant Warehouse. 
Universal interfacing from Spotlight to stabilise the sequins.


Interfacing ironed to the seam lines, bust dart and welt pocket.

I chose a the sequin fabric because I have always wanted a sequin bomber jacket. When I bought this particular sequin fabric online it was not made clear that the sequin part of the fabric was only 70cm wide but the whole width including the very wide mesh edge was 130cm. So I thought I was buying 130cm worth of sequins not just 70cm. The narrowness of this fabric then limited what I could actually do with it. 

The Kimball Bomber turned out to be perfect for my fabric. 
I cut out the pattern pieces with my 'cutting sequins' scissors and some safety goggles!

I hand tacked the position of the bust darts and welt pockets onto the wrong side of the sequin fabric. I used snips to cut off the top of every sequin within these areas so I would be able to sew them easily.

sequins removed from the welt pocket placement

I cut strips of light weight interfacing and ironed them on the back of the sequin fabric over all of the seam allowances to stabilise the knit fabric before I cut away the sequins. 

There was a lot of sequin snipping! I couldn’t unpick the stitching holding the sequins so snipping them and picking out the remaining sequin with tweezers was my only option.
 I removed the sequins from the seam allowance of all the other seemliness.

Because the fabric was stretchy I ended up interfacing the fronts and back with the Universal Interfacing (which I love because it actually stays stuck to the fabric) to stabilise the fabric and stop it sagging. 

Sleeves
I quilted my stretch fabric very carefully as I didn't want to interface it because it would add excess thickness. I used a variegated metallic thread with the colours pink, purple and turquoise for the quilting. I pinned the fashion fabric to the wadding and the lining fabric with safety pins. I sewed carefully through all the layers always sewing in the same direction to prevent skewing. 

Pockets
The welt pocket construction is explained in detailed diagrammed instruction. 
I sewed the lining as instructed, turned the pocket bag through and understitched the pocket bag seam to the seam allowance. 


Satin lined welt pockets


I carefully pinned the zip in place then I hand stitched the zip to the seam allowance and slip stitched the zip tape to the lining. I did not topstitch the welt pockets as the pattern recommended because of the sequins.

Bands
I used a navy heavy ribbing from Spotlight for the neck, cuff and waistband.

Lining
I sewed the jacket according to the instructions but added a lining which is not included in the instructions. 

Cashmerette patterns work really well for my body shape which is high bust X bust X waist G cup. I don’t have to make lots of alterations like I do for other brands. While this particular pattern is only available with membership in their new club there other patterns are available as PDF or paper and I’ve used a few successfully. 


Organza Kimball Bomber


I wanted a unique jacket to wear to a production of Priscilla Queen of the Desert in Queensland Australia where it is very humid. This organza jacket gave me the colour and sparkle without the weight of sequins and the metallic finish without having to use brocade fabric. I paired it with a simple black dress. I made a bag to match with hand made organza cup flowers from the left overs. 
The inspiration for this jacket came from a workshop I did on making silk organza Bojagi clothing.
What I really like about the Kimball is the fit for a full bust is excellent. The simple seam lines allow you to choose a busy or bold print without loosing the prints design impact to lots of vertical seams as a princess seam style Bomber would. It is also well suited to a complicated fabric like sequins which requires the removal of sequins from the seam lines. 





For the outside fabric I used A combination of mirror organza, silk organza, crystal organza, shot organza, crushed organza and satin organza. 
I created my fabric using patchwork techniques. I made a bunch of log cabin blocks from 1” and 1 & 1/2” strips of a variety of different colours and finished organza. I pressed each square carefully all under a cloth. 


I built up the patchwork organza fabric directly over the pattern piece rather than making a big piece of fabric and cutting my pattern out from that. I chose to angle the blocks rather than having them horizontal. This meant my “fabric” ended up on the bias.


 I also cut all the pattern pieces out of white mirror organza. After each pattern piece was completed I layer it over the white organza piece and pinned them together carefully easing the bias edges to the correct shape. I trapped some the lei petals between the layers of organza. 
I backed my patchwork fabric with white mirror organza.


I trapped some faux petals from a costume lei between the layers of organza.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
The only alteration I did to the pattern was to lengthen the sleeves 2cm. I should have made them at least another 2-4cm longer. 
I did not use ribbing for the collar, cuffs and waistband, instead I made casings from white mirror organza and threaded striped metallic elastic through them. 

I quilted the layers together sewing on top of the seam lines in both directions using a variegated thread. 


silk organza strip used to stabilise the welt pocket opening


pocket bag pined in place


welt shape stitched through al the layers


welt pocket cut ready to turn 


Pocket bag turned to the inside and topstitched


I used French seams for the shoulders, armholes, underarm, pocket bags and side seams.




I used the original Kimball pattern pieces for the shape of the bands but extended their length to fit the jacket as they would not be stretch out like the intended ribbing. I cut them from the white glass organza. 



Into these casings I inserted the amount of elastic to fit my size. 
For added interest I chose a striped metallic elastic for the  sheer casings.



I used an invisible style white open end zip and inserted it along with the zipper facing as the instructions suggest. 









Matching Handbag



Original bag was made of metallic pattern silk.


Lining removed from bag


Bag disassembled 


Left over organza fabric strips sewn together to create patchwork panels



Organza flowers made from different sized squares which have been melted with an open flame into a circle. Cups nested and sewn together with a crystal in the centre.





I sewed all the different cup flowers over the sides of the bag then reassembled it. 



Cat scan - approved!


I made a new lining with extra pockets and used the original handles . 




Popular posts from this blog

Bojagi CBD

  CBD BOJAGI Art Quilt Photo by David Leane, Photography by David In 2014 I attended the Geelong Textile Forum, studying the technique of making silk Bojagi garments with tutor Catherine O'Leary. Bojagi is a Korean wrapping cloth. While the technique fascinated me I had no use for a transparent silk organza garment so I sold mine to anther student attending the forum. I still wanted to use the skills I had learned but utilise them for something very different.  Bojagi jacket and hat Every 2 years the South Australian Quilters Guild holds an art quilt exhibition called "Dare to Differ". I have previously entered this exhibition twice and you can read about the creation of my "Cityscape" quilt on this blog. For the 2015 exhibition I chose to use the Bojagi seaming technique to create a map quilt showing a scale street map of   Adelaide,  the capitol city of my home state, South Australia. This is the inspiration for my quilt

Cashmerette - Hampden Dress - 1111

Cashmerette - Hampden Dress Breeze into summer with the Hampden Dress! The Hampden is a woven dress designed specifically for curves with princess seams, an elasticated back waistband, and zero gaping thanks to a faux button placket. Its short sleeves, knee-length skirt, and roomy patch pockets make it a great addition to any spring and summer wardrobe. Hampden Dress But that's not all! Mix and match the Hampden with the Holyoke Maxi Dress & Skirt's sleeveless bodice, maxi-length skirt, and inseam pockets for even more sundress and skirt possibilities.  Holyoke pattern Combinations of Holyoke and Hampden Recommended Fabrics - Light- to mid-weight woven fabric such as cotton lawn, linen, or rayon. Use drapey fabrics for a flowy look or firmer fabrics for a more structured result.  I used Neon leopard printed rayon from Spotlight. It has a very slight stretch.  I had to place my pattern pieces carefully to print match the design across the front and around my dress. Sizing 0-

Generational Christening Gown

Generational Christening Gown My Aunt passed away in late July 2021 and my cousin gifted me her wedding dress. At my Aunts funeral, her grandson expressed his deep sadness that his Nanna would not be at his wedding in November 2021. She had been greatly looking forward to it after a very long wait for him to propose to his girlfriend of 10 years. My Aunts Wedding Dress I do not have children of my own, so once I received her dress and had it cleaned and decided to create a unique Christening Gown from it. I wanted it to be for my extended family to hand down through the generations.  My Aunt was my Mothers Sister so I decided to use wedding dresses from the matriarchal side of my family and the future bride. I have had a signed copy of Martha Pullen's Grandmother's Hope Chest since 1993 when I met her in Sydney Australia at a Pfaff sewing machine convention. I won it in a competition! I then worked in sewing machine retail and was 20 years old with hopes to have my own family o