Skip to main content

Pearlessence


Pearlessence





concept drawing

South Australian Quilters Guild, 2014, "Festival of Quilts" held at the Quilt and Craft fair in Adelaide, South Australia. 
Wearable Art section theme "Pearl" celebrating the Guilds 30th anniversary.
2nd Place winner!!!

Pearlessence is a unique evening dress designed for the modern women using traditional techniques and inspiration. Cream, ivory and blush colours, reminiscent of fresh water pearls, glint and sparkle with metallic threads, floaty petals and swirling sequins. 
Delicate corded battenberg styled lace work using a feather quilting pattern adorns the décolletage with beading and freehand machine embroidery. 
Machine quilting is used to further accent the body, blending into the full and flowing Lone Star patchwork fishtail skirt. Each section of the dress evokes the style of traditional techniques more commonly used for embellishments on quilts and tablecloths.

This dress was designed to be the ultimate formal attire for a gala ball celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the S.A. Quilters guild. A tribute to quilting and traditional embellishment techniques, given a modern twist in shimmering pearlessence colours.

My inspiration came from the idea to combine quilting, patchwork and battenberg lace together to make a formal evening dress with a modern twist. 
The dress is divided into 3 sections, each one featuring a different embellishment technique. 
The Vogue pattern was selected to allow the Lone Star block to flair out at the skirt.

The body has a quilted feather pattern sewn through wadded fabrics.
The bust and neckline are accented with corded battenberg style lace, beading and freehand machine embroidery over a soft tulle backing.

The delicate fabrics were chosen to reflect the soft hues and subtle variations of freshwater pearls which derive their colours from the environment they are grown.

I wanted a quilt block that would flow outwards from the fitted knee of the dress into a wide fishtail and train. The long diamond shape of the Lone Star block accomplished this and when sewn together the diamonds created panels that almost fitted the pattern pieces perfectly.
I made over 30 blocks using the delicate fabrics. To insure each line on each blocks diamonds matched points I hand sewed the crossovers on all the seam lines before machine sewing each of the strips into blocks, then the blocks together.

Vogue Pattern

Fabric selection





At the Canberra Textile fair in April 2014 I purchased some beautiful evening fabrics from Pitt Trading.
Included were a blush coloured silk fabric with a platinum metallic thread detail and a blush sequin and lace fabric that matched.

In addition to these two fabrics I found frosted metallic gold and a frosted metallic silver fabric. These complimented the blush fabrics perfectally with there soft metallic shimmer.

The final key fabric was purchased from Jenny's Sewing Centre in Angaston South Australia. It is a soft floaty petal fabric in cream. Lines of scalloped chiffon have been stitched to a net base in a circular flower pattern. As this fabric was sheer I backed it with the frosted silver fabric.

To reduce the weight of the dress I change the pattern so the main fabric only extends to the knee then the lower section of the dress was replaced with 8 Lone Star panels. Each panel has the outer fabric layer, wadding and a lining of cotton drill. The drill was to allow me to trace the quilting pattern directly onto the garment ready for bobbin work stitching.

The top line of Lone Star diamonds are bound with bias binding and positions onto each panel of the dress.  The 4 front panels were sewn together and the quilting was added after the diamonds were tacked in place.


Lone Star blocks

Diamond skirt panels bound with satin binding




Diamonds laid out on the front panels of the dress

Quilted Bodice


The body and fitted skirt is made from the shimmer blush fabric. I created a sandwiched of layers using thin wadding with a backing of cotton. When this was stitched with the thick decorative thread in the bobbin case it gave a quilted appearance.




Lace and Net 

Notions
The ivory rouleau tubing was bought from DK fabrics by the metre. The bias gives the tubing some stretch and the ability to be manipulated around curves and loops smoothly. I wanted a uniform colour to match the blush tones of the dress so I had to dye it myself to match the sating bias binding used on the diamond blocks. I used Starr Lace Ozpol dye.  I was also going to use an opalescent metallic knitted tube braid but I could not get that to dye the right colour so didn't use it.



test samples of rouleau to get the correct colour

The thread used for the bobbin work embroidery is Wonderfil Dazzle colour 7102.

The lace is made using a technique I learned from the DVD "In Motion" by Jean Littlejohn and Jan Beany. Using a sticky backed water soluble fabric I got from Punch with Judy.

applying rouleau cord
pattern removed
second layer of stabiliser applied
bobbin work stitching
stabilisers washed away


Bodice Design


The lace bodice overlay was drawn and drafted in cotton fabric first to fit the dress dummy. It was then transferred to paper ready to make the lace.







Hand beading is stitched on the lace before the water soluble backing is washed away.


The lace is pinned to the dress so it can be cut, shaped and pinned to fit the contours of the bust ready for stitching.








The lace before washing away the stabiliser 













The lace after washing away the stabiliser pinned to the dress ready for hand sewing in place.





This dress is a size 10 and is for sale for $1000

Suppliers
Pitt Trading = fabrics
www.pitttrading.com.au
274 Rocky Point Rd, Ramsgate NSW 2217
(02) 9529 3038

D K Fabrics = rouleau and net
www.dkfabrics.com.au105 Port Rd, Hindmarsh SA 5007Phone:(08) 8346 8445
Starr Lace = polyester dye
www.starrlace.com.au
Postal Address:- PO Box 70 Bundanoon NSW 2578
Phone:- (02) 4883 7440
Mobile:- 0413 040 633 or 0417 448 040

Punch with Judy = water soluble sticky back fabric
www.punchwithjudy.com.au
"Goldview" Olympic Hwy, The Rock. NSW (near Wagga)
PH 02 69 20 2238

Beads from Spotlight

Jennys Sewing Centre = petal fabric
www.jennyssewingcentre.websyte.com.au
64 Murray St Angaston, South Australia
PH 08 8564 2269

The first place winner in the Art to Wear section can be viewed at www.saquilters.org.au and click on the 2014 festival of quilts photo gallery.
scan the QR code to hear me talk about the dress.




Popular posts from this blog

Bojagi CBD

  CBD BOJAGI Art Quilt Photo by David Leane, Photography by David In 2014 I attended the Geelong Textile Forum, studying the technique of making silk Bojagi garments with tutor Catherine O'Leary. Bojagi is a Korean wrapping cloth. While the technique fascinated me I had no use for a transparent silk organza garment so I sold mine to anther student attending the forum. I still wanted to use the skills I had learned but utilise them for something very different.  Bojagi jacket and hat Every 2 years the South Australian Quilters Guild holds an art quilt exhibition called "Dare to Differ". I have previously entered this exhibition twice and you can read about the creation of my "Cityscape" quilt on this blog. For the 2015 exhibition I chose to use the Bojagi seaming technique to create a map quilt showing a scale street map of   Adelaide,  the capitol city of my home state, South Australia. This is the inspiration for my quilt

Cashmerette - Hampden Dress - 1111

Cashmerette - Hampden Dress Breeze into summer with the Hampden Dress! The Hampden is a woven dress designed specifically for curves with princess seams, an elasticated back waistband, and zero gaping thanks to a faux button placket. Its short sleeves, knee-length skirt, and roomy patch pockets make it a great addition to any spring and summer wardrobe. Hampden Dress But that's not all! Mix and match the Hampden with the Holyoke Maxi Dress & Skirt's sleeveless bodice, maxi-length skirt, and inseam pockets for even more sundress and skirt possibilities.  Holyoke pattern Combinations of Holyoke and Hampden Recommended Fabrics - Light- to mid-weight woven fabric such as cotton lawn, linen, or rayon. Use drapey fabrics for a flowy look or firmer fabrics for a more structured result.  I used Neon leopard printed rayon from Spotlight. It has a very slight stretch.  I had to place my pattern pieces carefully to print match the design across the front and around my dress. Sizing 0-

Generational Christening Gown

Generational Christening Gown My Aunt passed away in late July 2021 and my cousin gifted me her wedding dress. At my Aunts funeral, her grandson expressed his deep sadness that his Nanna would not be at his wedding in November 2021. She had been greatly looking forward to it after a very long wait for him to propose to his girlfriend of 10 years. My Aunts Wedding Dress I do not have children of my own, so once I received her dress and had it cleaned and decided to create a unique Christening Gown from it. I wanted it to be for my extended family to hand down through the generations.  My Aunt was my Mothers Sister so I decided to use wedding dresses from the matriarchal side of my family and the future bride. I have had a signed copy of Martha Pullen's Grandmother's Hope Chest since 1993 when I met her in Sydney Australia at a Pfaff sewing machine convention. I won it in a competition! I then worked in sewing machine retail and was 20 years old with hopes to have my own family o